2.15.2014

A Labor of Love

After several tedious hours of nose to the computer screen,
 and magnifiers resting low on my nose,
counting 
counting...
and then months of stitching,
Elizabeth Clark is once again
all bright and new.
Is she elegant!


A labor of love...
"Elizabeth Clark, 1822"

I made one adjustment to the sampler.  The verse on the antique was stitched in pink.
I originally charted it with pink, but upon stitching the tiny 1 over 1 letters I was finding that the verse was hard to read.  So a froggin' I went...
Elizabeth had worked her name, village and year in black floss so I tried black for the verse too.
It balanced the wording out and I can read the verse easily from a distance.
If you are a sampler purist you will want to work the verse in the Woodrose floss.

And leaving you with a few snaps of the antique,
just because...

Love the grapes...
 love the unevenly spaced windows...
and any sampler with little men on them,
always catch my eye
and 
steals my heart! 

With thy Needle & Thread,
Brenda





4 comments:

MartyG said...

Brenda, really lovely. The colors are just gorgeous.

Michele said...

Elizabeth probably never imagined her work being as cherished as it is so lovingly by you. And to recreated it gives her such an honorary moment too. So sweet and nicely done.

Cheryl WNC said...

It is lovely. I was wondering looking at the original--it looks like it has been washed. Very nice.

marly said...

She is beautiful. I think your choice of black (over one) is perfect.